At Pets at Home we have an ambitious plan, to become “The Best Pet Care Business in the world”. We put pets first, they are our business and our passion, and their welfare is our number one priority. A key part of delivering this in a sustainable way is via our People and our Culture. We are a business built on strong values and behaviours which guide everything we do. These are our foundations which will help us to deliver our better world pledge to create a better world for pets and the people who love them.
The Pets at Home Group includes over 450 stores, over 310 Groom Rooms and 440 First Opinion Vet Practices. It’s fast-paced, innovative and fun, and we put people and their pets at the very heart of everything we do. We are committed to developing a culture of inclusivity where everyone is able to come to work and be themselves, a culture which welcomes everyone irrespective of what makes us all unique.
About the role
You will hold a very special role that sits at the heart of Pets at Home. As Head of Pets, you will be the guardian of our number one value “We Put Pets First”, putting our store pets at the forefront, and influencing their welfare across over 450 locations.
We are offering an experienced small animal vet a really unique opportunity to play a critical role within our senior leadership team; leading a wider team of in excess of 60 colleagues, with 6 direct reports. The role offers variety; from veterinary support, regulatory, political affairs and PR, to working with our marketing team and acting as an ambassador in partnership with a number of external bodies.
Hugely rewarding and hugely varied, no two days are the same. Here are just some of the things you will be responsible for:
- Working closely with Head of Pet Operations, the Small Animal Welfare Manager and Field Pet Partners to ensure the ethical sourcing and care of the pets and fish in our stores and any issues surrounding them
- Vet representative on the Operating board of Pets at Home
- Vet representative on the Pet Welfare Committee, ESG Committee (Plc Board) and the Health and Safety Board
- Working with the Director of Clinical Services from our Vet Group (Vets4Pets) and his team regarding pet health issues in stores
- Keeping up to date with pet welfare by attending key vet and welfare conferences
- Working cross departmentally with the buying, own brand and technical teams on new and existing products
- Writing, proofreading and signing off marketing and L&D pet content
- Supporting Customer Services and Head of PR and Corporate Affairs from a pet welfare perspective
- Represent Pets at Home, particularly on how a successful corporate company can live its number one value, to vets, pet charities, trade bodies, conferences, etc.
- Main liaison with the RSPCA, with whom we work closely as well as other charity and welfare partners
- Ensure we meet all relevant UK standards regarding pet welfare and pet vending across all our stores
- Contribute to the PAH podcasts, PetTalk TV and other social media events such as Facebook and Instagram Live
As a qualified small animal vet with experience of working in practice, you’ll be seeking an opportunity to work in a really varied and highly visible senior leadership role, using your clinical skills and expertise within a wider commercial setting. The idea of consulting, coaching and educating a wide variety of colleagues and partners excites you, and being able to confidently challenge when required comes naturally to you.
Your knowledge, passion and experience across small animal welfare will be truly embraced and respected across our organisation. Your problem solving abilities may be put to the test at times, but your resilience will help us to help you to achieve in the role.
Articulate communication, confidence in approach and a desire to lead a large team with honesty, respect and courage will be a given.
An interest in, or further qualifications in exotics would be a real advantage.
Far more than a retailer, Pets at Home Group is the UK’s leading pet care specialist, fulfilling every possible pet and owner need, from food and accessories to grooming and vet services. Since 1991, we’ve been building a business around pets and their owners and we’ve set our sights on becoming the best pet care business in the world. Join us now and you can be part of that journey, developing your future as we develop ours. This is a place where you can take pride and passion in your work within an inspiring, professional team that’s focused on supporting pets and their owners to live happier lives together.
We’re driven by the wellbeing of pets and we make sure we look after our people too. We depend on your commitment and innovation, and reward it with competitive pay and comprehensive benefits. Together we’ll create the future of pet care.
Location: SN2 2EH
For more information and to apply, click here…