Salary: £70 – £75k
Contract: 12 month fixed term maternity cover
Position: Full time
As a statutory regulator we are responsible under the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 for keeping the register of veterinary surgeons eligible to practise in the UK, setting standards for veterinary education and regulating the professional conduct of veterinary surgeons.
We aim to enhance society through improved animal health and welfare. We do this by setting, upholding and advancing the educational, ethical and clinical standards of veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses
- To take responsibility for Practice Standards Scheme, and Standards and Advice Team.
- To assist the Registrar and Director of Legal Services to ensure that the RCVS meets its legal obligations to its members, registrants and to the public, and fulfils its statutory and regulatory obligations as detailed in the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 and Royal Charter
- To be responsible for the Practice Standards Scheme and team of assessors, including delivery of standards, delivery and monitoring of assessment processes and procedures within the budget allocated for the Scheme.
- To be responsible for the Standards and Advice team and the drafting of the Codes of Professional Conduct for veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses and the supporting guidance to the Codes, as well as topical issues that arise.
- To assist the Registrar in the provision of legal advice to Council and to other departments of the RCVS, as required.
- To carry out such other duties, projects or initiatives as directed by the Registrar
- Ideally Solicitor or Barrister registered with their respective professional body
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- A successful track record in general management
- Experience of professional regulation is desirable
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent drafting and writing skills
- The ability to achieve organisational objectives by performance management that encourages diversity
- The ability to motivate and develop staff and to get the best out of people
- Strong IT skills and experience
- The ability and presence to represent the organisation with a range of audiences
- A co-operative, consultative and collegiate personal style
Closing date Friday 3rd April 2020.