Award-winning animal charity, Pet Blood Bank UK, is recruiting for a Laboratory Manager and Processor. The role holder reports into the Clinical Director and manages the day to day activities of the Laboratory, Stock and Distribution, and Technical Sales Teams based in Loughborough.
Pet Blood Bank UK is the only charity of its kind that provides a canine blood bank service, helping to save the lives of many loyal companions across the UK. Like the human blood service, donation sessions are held across the UK for dog owners to bring along their pets to give blood. Now in its 12th year, the charity has over 10,000 canine donors registered and growing at an exponential rate as media attention increases.
What you’ll do
- As Laboratory Manager, you will manage and support the Laboratory, Stock and Distribution, and Technical Sales Teams in their day to day activities, ensuring all aspects of the processing, storage and supply of blood products is conducted in an appropriate and timely manner
- Responsible for ensuring all equipment is clean and well maintained including managing the servicing and calibration schedule
- Responsible for ensuring all administrative tasks relating to processing, quality control and stock management are completed appropriately by staff in your department
- Responsible for ensuring whole blood is processed, labelled and stored within the required timescales in line with our Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Assist with Pet Blood Bank research and development projects as required for specific projects
- Responsible for all blood screening, quarantine and release procedures and quality control measures are followed and recorded in line with SOP
- Comply with the Principles of Good Manufacturing Practice for all areas within the department
- Manage the on-call rota which supports the supply of blood products out of hours
What we need
We’re looking for an experienced manager with a working knowledge of pet/human blood banking and ideally with a veterinary/human blood processing certificate (or equivalent). We’re looking for someone who has:
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure with competing priorities
- Confidence using all Microsoft Office packages
- A proactive, positive attitude is essential for this role as well as the flexibility to meet business demands
- The ability to emphasise with the pet owning public
- A clean, full driving license
What’s in it for you
In return, we offer full training, competitive salary and a great team working environment.
This role is full time, working 37.5 hours per week. The working pattern is Monday to Thursday 9-5 and Friday 7-3. Some flexibility in hours is required to support processing along with being available out of hours to support your team.
For more information or to request a full job description, please contact Carolyn Hughes email@example.com.