Nine RVNs are among the latest recipients of the our new Level 5 Award in Veterinary Leadership and Management (AVLM). The full cohort of 22 includes Head Nurses, Practice Managers and others working in a range of practice leadership roles.
We created our Award, Certificate and Diploma in Veterinary Leadership & Management, a suite of contemporary online qualifications, as part of our mission to equip and empower 21st century veterinary leaders. Launched in 2021, the qualifications are accredited by the Institute of Leadership & Management and modular in format, enabling participants from the UK and around the world to build a qualification to suit their role, ambitions, and areas of particular interest.
All awardees are now moving forward to the Certificate (CVLM) stage of the qualification. The final stage is the Diploma (DVLM), typically achieved after two years.
Heidi Taylor RVN, Head of Nursing Services at Dick White Referrals in Cambridgeshire, said:
“I found the module extremely insightful and useful in my day-to-day role. It has challenged me to reflect on my own performance and leadership style and given me a strong understanding of different leadership styles. I have used this to better understand my colleagues and to try and to adapt my approach, depending on the situation.
“Excellent support was provided and the online platform is user-friendly. The content was broken down into manageable sections to avoid overwhelming us and I was able to complete my studies around my other commitments. I recommend this course to those looking to improve as a leader by developing greater self-awareness and their theoretical knowledge.”
Lauren Emmett RVN, Head of Nursing Services, North Downs Specialist Referrals, Kent, added:
“I had been looking for a veterinary-specific management course so that the content would be relatable and tailored to my role. I liked the variety of learning formats and was surprised at how much learning could be had from simply reflecting on my role in practice. I really enjoyed the first module and have a greater awareness of my management style and how I can improve for myself and my team.”
Commenting, Learning and Development Manager at VMG, Dr Hannah Perrin said:
“As challenging times continue, veterinary businesses across the UK need the skills, knowledge and experience of their leaders and managers. But leaders aren’t born – they need support to develop their skills. The CVLM programme incorporates the latest thinking in leadership and management, as well as addressing a range of contemporary issues, both sector-specific and affecting the wider business and social environment.
“We congratulate our new AVLMs and look forward to supporting them as they take work towards the Certificate.”
The next cohort will commence its studies in April 2022. More information is available here: www.vetmg.com/cvlm.
The new AVLM Awardees are:
- Fiona Andrew RVN, Business Support Manager, VetPartners
- Rowena Batey RVN, Practice Manager, Ashlea Veterinary Centre, Cumbria
- Philippa Blake, Diagnostic Centre Administrator, Rossdales Equine Hospital, Suffolk
- Stacy Brook RVN, Nurse Manager, London Road Veterinary Centre, Norfolk
- Karla Brown, Practice Manager, Black Sheep Vets, Lincolnshire
- Paula Brzenczek, Practice Manager, Summerhill Veterinary Centre, Monmouthshire
- Melonie Bunting, Practice Manager, London Road Veterinary Centre, Norfolk
- Leah Challen, Accounts Manager, Equine Dental Clinic Ltd, Dorset
- Nicola Chapman, Practice Manager, Calweton Veterinary Group, Cornwall
- Johanna du Plessis RVN, Head Veterinary Nurse, Pilgrims Vets, Hampshire
- Lauren Emmett RVN, Head of Nursing Services, North Downs Specialist Referrals, Kent
- Samantha Firmager, Practice Manager, Companion Care Winchester, Hampshire
- Gemma Fisher RVN, Head Veterinary Nurse, Vets4Pets Sidcup, Kent
- Rachel Forsyth RVN, Practice Manager, Dogwood Referrals, Manchester
- Catherine Grimsey, Practice Manager, Pinkham Equine, Wiltshire
- Zoe Hatton, Practice Manager, Avenue Veterinary Centre, Cambridgeshire
- Jacqueline McMahon RVN, Practice Manager, Medivet New Cross, London
- Tara Morris, Office Manager, Rossdales Equine Ltd, Hertfordshire
- Paul Rolfe, Practice Manager, The Mobile Vet Ltd, Isle of Wight
- Heidi Taylor RVN, Head of Nursing Services, Dick White Referrals, Cambridgeshire
- Shannon Tidyman, Clinical Support Supervisor, LLM Farm Vets, Shropshire
- Emma Whiston-Riley, Owner, Woodpecker Equine, Derbyshire