Here at The Oak Veterinary Group, we are looking for a Practice Manager to join the team.
The role will be 37.5 hours per week Monday-Friday within the hours of 8:00am-7:00pm. Overtime may be required and will be taken as time in lieu. Occasional attendance at surgeries at weekends may be required. Part-time / Flexible working can be considered, with a minimum of 30 hours per week.
The salary for this role will be up to £30,000 depending on experience.
Main Purpose of Role:
• To support the Clinical Directors in the management of the practice and the development of the business, promoting improvements and being an active member of the Management Team
• To assist and advise team coordinators in the day-to-day management of their teams
• To ensure that all Group Policies and Procedures, both financial and non-financial, are implemented and respected
• To manage, lead and develop all support functions to ensure a continuous high level of customer care
• To set an example of professional conduct at all times
• To ensure that all aspects of H&S Policies and procedures are adhered to at all times including the reporting of accidents and substandard equipment
• Overall responsibility for stock control
• Overall responsibility for debt collection within the practice including adherence to group debt protocols and timely insurance claim administration
• Supervision of timely and accurate provision of financial information to Head Office
• To ensure that all support functions within the practice run effectively at all times through clear communication, leadership, and management.
• To ensure that an adequate non–clinical staff rota is maintained in line with the business needs
• To ensure adequate training is provided to all non-clinical staff to enable them to perform their duties to a high standard at all times.
• To ensure that the cash security and data protection processes are maintained at all times
• Banking in line with group policy and covered by insurance levels
• Work with HR coordinator to ensure that all staff appraisals are carried out on a regular basis
• To ensure the co-ordination of the maintenance and repair of the premises, using preferred contractors where possible
• To liaise with the Business Support Manager and colleagues at Head Office to ensure effective communication, co-ordination and co-operation
• To supervise and ensure marketing functions are carried out by the marketing team
• To organise, attend and sometimes present at practice meetings, management meetings, and non-clinical team meetings
• To oversee and manage the team working on stock control, with a knowledge of pharmaceutical laws and good stock management, ensuring stock levels are maintained correctly, stock is correctly stored, and stock takes are carried out efficiently, at the correct time
• Office and consumables stock control
• Office equipment selection and maintenance
• Telecommunications and computer upgrades and general maintenance and support.
• Full understanding of the IT equipment and working processes to ensure a fully functioning access for all staff at all times
• Training all staff on the use of the ICT equipment and systems.
• Liaise with tradesmen to arrange repairs and minor alterations to practice premises.
• Practice Management System administrator
• General knowledge and understanding of all Microsoft packages and other systems used within the Group
• Ensure all insurance policies are kept current at all times.
• Responsible for the integrity of the PMS system and the financial controls surrounding write off and credit note issuing
• Ensure daily PMS backups are carried out
• Provide Clinical Directors with financial management support as required
• Have an understanding of the book keeping process
• Manage the reconciliation of daily receipts, bank deposits and petty cash and floats in accordance to the group policy with target zero differences, delivery to Head Office in line with group deadlines ensuring holiday cover is in place
• Enforcement of efficient credit and debit control according to group policy
• Process invoices and delivery notes in accordance to group policy and procedure
• Monitor debtors by dealing with overdue account collection through small claims court processes and setting up repayment agreements
• Back up the Clinical Directors / Senior Vets to process invoices and delivery notes in accordance to group policy and procedure
• Checking of MWI invoices back to despatch notes and reporting to Centaur of discrepancies and ensuring credit notes are issued
• Manage practice credit use and co-ordinate information for Corporate credit cards: sign off monthly statements and provisions of all VAT documentation to head Office at the time required
• Filing and archiving of financial documents and records in accordance with legal requirements
• Report costs to Clinical Directors on a regular basis, identifying opportunities for savings and efficiencies.
• Identify and monitor turnover and other performance trends.
• Monitor fees and input price increases into the PMS
• Amend wrongly inputted client payments to ensure correct cost centre use and reporting quality.
• Organise and compare new equipment purchases, assisting clinical director with Capex and others
• Provide daily, weekly, monthly figures to Head office as required in line with group deadlines and ensure cover is in place for holiday periods
• Responsible for stocktake process and controls and appropriate level of stock held and reordering
• Responsible for motivating and organising non-clinical staff as required by the Principals
• Assist in new start inductions and site training sessions
• Undertake appraisals for all non-clinical staff
• Provide training to ensure all non-clinical staff receive the appropriate knowledge to develop them in their specific role.
• Record minutes/actions of meetings and distribute accordingly
• Work with HR coordinator to arrange annual social events for the staff within the budget provided
• Implement all Group Policies and Procedures, ensuring clear communication of any specific points that staff need to be aware of
• Support HR coordinator when requested
• To participate in the recruitment process for new reception and administrative staff, and others when requested
Marketing and Business Development:
• With Clinical Director and management team discuss, plan and promote practice promotional events such as: Pet Health Plan, Client educational evenings, open days, career days, pet shows and pet events, discounts, bundles etc.
• Prepare and execute a marketing plan and monitor results
• Co-ordinate design and production of practice brochures, stationery, newsletters and client surveys etc.
• Promote pet insurance within the practice
• Maintain and update website and Social Media pages, alongside marketing team
• Co-ordinate advertising locally
• Communicate promotions clearly to staff to ensure understanding and buy-in.
• Research new ways to promote the practice and the offer to the client.
• Ensure consistent use of practice branding, logos, and colours.
We are a busy mixed Practice based in Haverfordwest Pembrokeshire with a friendly, motivated team offering a full range of vet services including advanced surgery and rehabilitation working with both small and farm animals. We pride ourselves on passion and drive for great vet services in a beautiful area.
Although rural, we pride ourselves on providing a first-class small animal service, being able to practice excellent medicine with great clients. Our small animal client base does have a bias towards dogs, but we see plenty of cats, small furries and the occasional exotic and bird.
We aim to give all small animal vets a share of the surgical workload. Most complex surgery is conducted in-house by an RCVS AP in Small Animal Surgery. We encourage and fund CPD and the development for all members of staff especially for clinical interests and cover our own out of hours on call.
We have the facilities to manage almost all types of surgery in-house. Currently the team consists of 7-10 Veterinary Surgeons, 7 qualified Veterinary Nurses, 4 student Veterinary Nurse, 9 Reception Staff, a Credit Control Officer and an HR Coordinator.
The practice is surrounded by beautiful Countryside and Coast with award wining beaches on our doorstep. We are within a 30-minute drive of St David’s which is famous for its Cathedral which dates back to the 11th Century and is the smallest City in Europe. In the opposite direction also within a 30-minute drive we have Laugharne which is a small town set on the Tâf estuary on Carmarthen Bay. It is best known for being the home of Wales’ most famous English-language poet, Dylan Thomas, for its Norman Castle, and for its annual arts festival, Laugharne Weekend. Close by to our Haverfordwest surgery is Llys Y Fran which is set in the foothills of the Preseli Mountains. The 350 acres (142ha) of woodland, grassland, and lake are perfect for walking, cycling and fishing – and a whole range of activities on land and water.
Socially we have good support networks within our teams, with get-togethers for the whole practice, and smaller gatherings in between. We participate in charity events together, and may also enjoy a run, dog walk, or horse ride in groups. We like to celebrate successes, and new arrivals and eat cake.
We are looking for someone who has:
• Excellent people management skills
• An understanding of how vision and mission can create success in a business, and an ability to put it into action
• Excellent business and management knowledge, including SMART planning and presentation skills
• A sound knowledge of practice protocols and policies, including RCVS Codes of Conduct
• Competence in the use of IT and Practice Management Systems and adjunctive computer programs such as word processing, databases
• Good knowledge of practice administration including Health Care Plans, Charity Vouchers, Amnesties, Charity Promotions, to supervise those carrying them out
• A knowledge of common veterinary terms and some familiarity with veterinary pharmaceuticals, and pharmaceutical law.
• An understanding of the services, products and referral services (e.g. Hydrotherapy, Advanced Surgery, ECG) we offer and how to facilitate them
• An awareness of costs and practice profitability, and practice protocols in relation to budgeting and spending. Good financial skills are essential (eg sound knowledge of P&L accounts)
• We work in a clinical environment, where each day is unpredictable and different – sometimes intense, sometimes sad, often fun, and often joyous. We need an organised manager who can manage these ups and down effectively, helping to keep team morale amongst our highly skilled team.
• Previous experience in a clinical setting is helpful, but not essential.
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch. Please quote BH1234 when applying for this role.