Founded by vets for vets in 2015, VetPartners has 178 veterinary practices, with more than 8,000 employees working in around 550 sites across the UK and from its headquarters in York. The group also has practices in Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Switzerland and is anticipating further growth in 2023 and beyond. In addition to veterinary practices, the group has pet cremation services, an online retailer, two veterinary nursing schools, laboratories, and a research dairy.
VetPartners aims to be a great place to work, focusing on the development and wellbeing of its people. In 2022 we were named #1 company for senior leadership by Glassdoor.
About the role:
VetPartners has committed to an ambitious programme of activity to improve sustainability across the group. This exciting role will liaise with colleagues from across the business to lead the delivery of some of our 21 sustainability targets, including energy efficiency, carbon emissions reduction and improving sustainability in our supply chain.
Our recent Sustainability and Giving Back report can be seen here: https://www.myvetpartners.co.uk/_files/ugd/c19235_6c619f5a4ea742778a8171730830accf.pdf
With continued growth in the UK and the expansion of VetPartners into Europe, our scope is expanding and we’re recruiting a Sustainability Manager to help us deliver on our ambition to grow in an ethical and sustainable way. You’ll be joining a dynamic and enthusiastic Sustainability team, embedded within the wider Compliance team at our Central Support Office in York.
It’s an exciting time to join the company as international growth brings new opportunities; and you’ll be helping to shape our sustainability strategy at a pivotal moment as VetPartners grows.
Manage the delivery of our targets for energy consumption, carbon emissions, water consumption and sustainable supply chain.
- Liaise with suppliers, brokers and our internal procurement team to collate information from different sources in order to monitor energy and water consumption and report on trends.
- Project-manage the process of calculating VetPartners’ carbon footprint (Scopes 1, 2 and 3), setting a science-based carbon reduction target, and implementing changes to achieve the target.
- Manage the sustainable supply chain project: liaise with the procurement team, create KPIs, drive improvements and report on progress.
- Support the delivery of other sustainability initiatives as required, e.g. sustainable travel plans and biodiversity action plans.
- Collaborate with our clinical colleagues to create and deliver in-person and online learning resources on aspects of sustainability in practice, influence positive change across the wider business.
- Work with the rest of the team to monitor the sustainability inbox and provide day-to-day support to practices with sustainability queries.
This role would suit either an experienced vet or RVN with management experience who’s ready to move into a change management role; or a sustainability professional with experience in a related sector.
The ideal candidate will be able to form great working relationships with a wide variety of colleagues to drive change for sustainability in various areas of the business. While technical/subject matter knowledge is an advantage, the ability to confidently manage long term complex projects and communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders is more important.
An understanding of the principles of sustainability and good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (particularly Excel) are required; but formal qualifications in sustainability are not essential, and we’d be pleased to consider applications from career-changers and people with non-traditional career paths.
This is a hybrid role with 2 – 3 days a week (or more if desired) at our office in York. Part time and flexible working arrangements will be considered.
What we can offer in return:
- Salary dependant on skillset, experience, and qualifications.
- Option of hybrid working
- 25 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
- Buy and sell holiday scheme
- Health Shield PERKS – various discounts including gym memberships & retail
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Enhanced paternity, maternity, adoption, shared parental leave, and surrogacy pay
- CPD allowance
- Discounted veterinary fees
- Focus on employee wellbeing
To apply, please submit a CV (max 2 pages) and a cover letter (max 1 page).
If you’d like an informal discussion about the role please contact Hannah James (Head of ESG) on 01904 894372.